|Published||November 13, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
The Alliance is seeking a passionate, motivated and experienced Agroforestry and Landscape Restoration Specialist to support its Restore Africa Program. As part of the Alliance’s Regional Program Coordination Unit (PCU) team, the role will be responsible for technical guidance and advice to in-country consortia on the selection of tree species of high environmental and carbon sequestration potential and management protocols for carbon removal; identification and consensus building on landscape restoration practices in all program countries; the development of guidelines on the sourcing and supply of quality planting materials for all countries in a timely manner; capacity development of consortium members on agroforestry and landscape restoration approaches and scaling up. Furthermore, the role will oversee the development and population of related databases on tree seed suppliers, nursery operators and other relevant data for program scaling.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Identifying and leading consensus on contextually appropriate land restoration practices for all projects and with implementing partners in all program countries, building on current best practices of the implementing partners.
• Developing frameworks and guidelines to support implementing partners in selecting and implementing agroforestry and restoration approaches suitable to the context and conducting requisite capacity development of implementing partners.
• Preparing agroforestry-based value creation protocols for relevant value chains in liaison with value chain development officers of implementing partners.
• Offering technical guidance on tree species selection and management protocols for high carbon removal.
• Developing protocols for propagation and management (including approaches such as Assisted Natural Regeneration, Farmer-Managed Natural Regeneration) for all tree species in collaboration with technical partner organisations, the internal and external carbon experts.
• Supporting the development of biomass measurement protocols for all program sites and species to feed into selected carbon assessment methodologies.
• Supporting integration of carbon measurement protocols in the field data collection tools in liaison with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) and the carbon experts.
• Developing guidelines on sourcing and supplying tree planting materials for implementing partners, including tree germplasm needs assessments.
• Developing a tree nursery capacity development plan and supporting the implementation of the same for implementing partners.
• Preparing a database of suppliers of tree seeds in liaison with technical partner organisations and other relevant Alliance partners.
• Supporting implementation partners in the development and implementation of scaling strategies for agroforestry and landscape restoration in liaison with the Restore Africa Technical Advisory Group.
Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (agroforestry, environmental science, agriculture, natural resource management)
At least ten years’ experience in implementing diverse natural resource management approaches