|Published||August 28, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI’s partners include justice sector institutions, bar associations, and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
ABA ROLI seeks a part-time, short term Consultant to develop curriculum on subjects related to legal interpretation with a focus on Islamic Law. The Consultant will provide comparative expertise and work with ABA ROLI Middle East and North Africa staff to develop the training curricula.
The Consultant will, in close coordination with ABA ROLI:
- Review relevant laws, regulations, cases, and decrees in local languages.
- Develop training course content, including legal/statutory interpretation, constitutionalism, comparative constitutionalism, rule of law, constitutionalism in the Middle East, and Islamic Law or other topics as agreed upon by ABA ROLI and the Consultant.
- Support review, editing, and adaptation of the curricula to a distance learning (online) format platform.
- Provide regular status reports on achieved results and recommendations for future support.
- Edit and proofread information in local languages and perform content check of text.
The part-time consultant will report to Program Director for the Middle East and North Africa team at ABA ROLI.
- A Law degree or LLM with demonstrable expertise in at least one of the following areas: Legal/statutory interpretation, constitutionalism, comparative constitutionalism, rule of law, constitutionalism in the Middle East, and Islamic Law. Candidates who are pursuing or have completed a PhD will be looked upon favorably.
- Experience relating to Islamic law and legal systems.
- Knowledge of legal systems in the MENA region is desirable.
- Peer reviewed publications with respect to one or more of the above areas of expertise is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in pedagogical management.
- At least 10 years of teaching experience or 2 years teaching experience post PhD.
- Must have demonstrable experience in developing training courses for legal professionals.
- Teaching or training experience using interactive teaching methodologies in an international setting.
- Working knowledge of MENA region and/or experience working in politically sensitive contexts is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and written and oral fluency in Farsi (Persian) or Dari/Pashto required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
How to apply
Please submit cover letter, resume, and daily rate by email. In the subject heading please include the title of the position: Curriculum Development Consultant.
A Law degree or LLM