|Published||August 4, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Education Site Engineer - (220005R7)
1- The Education Site Engineer will support and provide engineering expertise for the successful and timely completion of works of Save the Children in Kirkuk and Salahdeen related to rehabilitation, construction and reparation of rehabilitation schools in selected sites within the project areas, in particular to support in ensuring the quality and effectiveness of programming in accordance with grant proposal and guidelines, as well as SC values and principles. The Education Site Engineer will directly supervise sites to ensure implementation and successful completion of construction/rehabilitation projects or components as assigned by line manager.
2- The Education Site Engineer will be working within the framework of Save the Children’s programming principles and approaches drawn on relevant best practices and lessons learned, work towards enabling children to attain their rights, while compliant with donor regulations. As part of Save the Children’s dual mandate .
3- The Education Site Engineer will be part time contract working ,12 or 13 days per month only .
4- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Education Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: None
Budget Responsibilities: No
Role Dimensions: Communication with stakeholders
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Be responsible for Engineering and technical part of education needs assessments and participate in the selection of target communities and be rehabilitated / or build in the project, through technical feasibility studies, focus group discussions, visits to facilities and sites, and interview with key members of the community.
- Program design and implementation: (with commitment to SC Construction Policy and Benchmark Standards and in collaboration with the Education Coordinator).
- In collaboration with Education Coordinator, develop detailed bills of quantities (BOQ) and drawings for the construction/Rehabilitation works, based on assessment and program requirements, ensuring that recommended work is child-friendly and within the minimum SPHERE standards.
- Planning, organization and follow up of the community mobilization in target communities on issues related to construction, rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of school rehabilitation.
- Be responsible to establish the technical aspect of the internal Purchase Requests and tender documents for construction and rehabilitation of school if required for the projects or as per requested by line manager .
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin.
- Site management: general supervision of contractors and Save the Children staff under her/his management (if any), ensuring the safety of construction sites for workers and beneficiaries and -in cooperation with MEAL department- ensure the community is facilitated to participate and provide feedback to Save the Children. Assist to develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that children’s safety is central (Child and adult safeguarding through proper Risk Management Plan).
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- BSc, Engineering, preferable to be Civil and/or higher university/postgraduate degree.
- Other certificates related to Civil engineering and/or communication and training will be an asset.
- Experience of 2-3 years in field of civil construction engineering preferably in education sector
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS :
- Working ability with tight deadlines and in a fast growing/changing program environment.
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Computer literate, knowledge and experience of working on Auto CAD, Ms. Excel, word, Power point.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong knowledge and skills as well as practical experience of using civil engineering tools such Surveying Tools and etc.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
- Commitment to self-capacity building as well as developing others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Oral and written fluency in Arabic, English language skills are an asset.
- Ability to work simultaneously with multiple tasks, willingness and ability to work efficiently with a wide diverse group of people.
- He/She must have access to all Iraq including KRI provinces for purposes of training and/or emergency response.
Interested candidates can send their CVs