|Published||April 24, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (‘International IDEA’) is proposing to implement an Action to support Libya’s House of Representatives (‘HoR’). The proposed Action seeks to support the HoR’s Secretariat General (the ‘Diwan’) through the following outputs:
- Enhanced Research Capacity of the Diwan;
- Enhanced Capacity of the Diwan’s organization, management and administration functions;
- Enhanced capacity of Diwan staff to support the HoR’s legislative functions;
- Enhanced capacity of Diwan staff to support the HoR’s oversight functions;
- Enhanced capacity of Diwan staff to support the HoR’s representation and citizen engagement functions;
- Advisory services provided on issues of Libyan and international law; and
- Enhanced Diwan collaboration with other parliaments for the purposes of capacity development and knowledge-sharing.
Through these outputs, the Diwan will become better equipped to help strengthen the effectiveness of the HoR (specific objective). That enhanced capacity will in turn help (i) improve the accountability of democratic institutions in Libya such as the HoR, as well as (ii) allow the HoR to exercise its legislative, oversight, and representation functions such that it can become transparent, inclusive, responsive, and accountable to Libyan citizens (impact objectives). The achievement of these objectives will contribute to the Action’s overall goal: to foster a functioning, rights-based, participatory and representative democracy in Libya.
Based in *Tunis - Tunisia, International IDEA seeks to appoint:*
The Finance Assistant will provide financial support to program and project activities within the EU funded project, ensuring adherence to International IDEA and donor policies and procedures.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Processes invoices, advance requests, expenditure reports etc. in accordance with International IDEA’s policies and procedures
- Assists with expenditure control and checks expenditure against budgets
- Supports the review and verification of financial transactions, activities, and documentation; taking corrective actions as needed and reporting any unusual activities
- Registers and upload contracts to the ERP system when necessary
- Allocates invoice costs, and verifies compliance of invoices in accordance with International IDEA’s policies and procedures
- Processes and records cash and bank payments and ensures supporting documentation is collected
- Maintains petty cash, balancing and posting to the ERP system
- Prepares monthly tax declarations
- Registers invoices and daily transactions in International IDEA’s accountancy system
- Checks the compliance of supporting documentation for expenditure reports
- Maintains a filing and archiving system for accounting, financial documents and records
- Maintains suppliers’ ledgers accounts and proceed with the clearance of Accounts Payable open items
- Supports the staff with travel arrangements including travel requests, travel advances, travel claims and other associated issues
- Assists staff, external consultants and participants for reimbursements
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly financial reports and bank reconciliation
- Assists in preparation and provision of supporting documents for both institution and project audits
The Finance Assistant must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- High school diploma is essential; University degree in finance or accounting or related field from a recognized university is considered an advantage
- Minimum of two (2) years of professional experience in finance and accounting
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, is considered an advantage
- Experience working in high-risks areas is considered an asset
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Knowledge of French would be considered an asset.
Interested candidates can send their CVs