|Published||March 8, 2022|
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Driven by the vision that everyone needs a decent place to live, Habitat for Humanity began in 1976 as a grassroots effort on a community farm in southern Georgia. The organization has since grown to become a leading global nonprofit working in nearly 1,400 communities throughout the U.S. and in nearly 70 countries. Families and individuals in need of a hand up partner with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Through financial support, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves.
Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia (HFHE) started operation in 1993 as a branch of Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI). HFHE has provided simple, affordable shelter for families in Ethiopia while also working to improve Water, Sanitation and Hygiene and empower Vulnerable Groups in the country.
Collaborating with the leadership team of the Country Office program the HR Manager will be at the forefront of defining and implementing the human capital strategy across a diverse portfolio of programs in Ethiopia. Critical to success in the role will be the ability to help infuse the vision, mission and values of HFHE and create the culture that derives from these principles. Your role in ensuring a positive employee experience is key to the overall success of the Country program. Key to this will be defining and leading the organization’s approach to employee engagement in the Country.
This strategic Human Resource (HR) position requires you to understand the objectives, goals of HFHE and to work with the teams to create human capital strategies that align with these objectives in Ethiopia. Capable of being a mentor and guide to your HR reports and to the wider Country Office team, you will ensure the implementation of best practice HR policies and procedures. This includes leading analysis to monitor and support work force planning. The position will also ensure uniformity of excellence in the HR function whilst accounting for diverse operating environments.
Sharing HFHE’s passion for attracting women to senior leadership positions and talent development, you will identify strategies to fulfill our gender targets and create a comprehensive talent management program in Ethiopia. This later will be a wide-ranging scheme, which includes talent management, succession planning, building talent pipelines, creating HFHE progression learning and development programs, retention strategies and all other aspects required to promote individual satisfaction, team harmony and exceptional overall performance.
Foundational to delivery of this role will be a focus on high end customer service.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Leadership and Direction
- As a part of the Country leadership team proactively participate in strategic discussions and planning relating to the direction and progress of the Ethiopia Program. Provide advice and counsel on all HR business processes and systems.
- Through matrix management, support the HR teams in field locations to build their capacity in all HR subjects and competencies.
- Pro-actively ensuring consistent and correct interpretation of the HR policies and procedures in line with HFHE’s policies and procedures and the Country’s civil code and labor law by:
- Regularly monitoring changes in the operational environment and regulatory framework.
- Advise management and ensure compliance through all organizational processes.
- Regularly review and update Country specific policies and procedures in line with the changes in the operational environment and regulatory framework.
- Develop and administer reward management and remuneration systems.
- Benchmark best practice with other organizations and use the information to advise management to improve HFHE’s approaches to people issues and meeting its specific gender and diversity targets.
- Actively engage with peers within and beyond the operations team through formal and informal mechanisms and structures.
Recruitment and Induction
- Responsible for timely execution of the recruitment process for all positions, including capacity support to Field Offices for the same. Provide an overview of ongoing recruitments and updates as required to the management team on progress.
- Participate in interviews as required and ensure that managers are trained in following HFHE recruitment procedures.
- Analyze recruitment trends and explore and propose creative solutions to recruitment challenges.
- In coordination with line managers, ensure that all new staff have proper induction and are aware of essential organizational policies.
- Regularly update the organizational organigram in line with HR changes and monitor progress against gender and diversity targets.
- Provide advise pertaining to employee grievances, disciplinary issues and other administrative problems according to HFHE’s policies and procedures and consult with the legal advisor on staff court cases.
- Provide counsel to managers at key stages of the employee performance management cycle (probation, interim review and annual review). Where concerns are identified, pro- actively engage with managers to address these by collaboratively implementing quality performance improvement plans.
Talent Management and Succession Planning
- Work closely with the leadership team to ensure effective talent management mechanisms are in place.
- Ensure the program’s recruitment approaches and capacity development initiatives support HFHE’s gender and diversity agenda.
- Support HFHE development pathways within the wider HFHE organization.
Employee Relations and Staff Well-being
- Lead efforts to ensure staff wellness in the workplace.
- Work closely with management to provide a conducive working environment (including enabling the staff social committee).
- Work with peers and field offices on liaison, dialogue, communication and understanding of policies.
- Lead negotiations and consultations with staff as required.
- Support leadership in managing investigation on Fraud and HR disciplinary process.
Prevention of Sexual Harassment Exploitation and Abuse (PSHEA) / Safeguarding.
- Ensure awareness of HFHE’s PSHEA policy and procedures across the Country program.
- In collaboration with the Country PSHEA focal point and leadership team, work to shape the countries safeguarding strategy.
Gender and Diversity
- Ensure that gender and diversity is mainstreamed through all HR and administration work.
- Provide strategic oversight and guidance to HFHE’s female internship program.
- Acts as one of the custodians of the gender and diversity action plan, taking forward actions to change HFHE’s organizational culture, initiating practical steps to improve the recruitment, retention and transform the organizational attitude furthering women within HFHE Ethiopia.
Possess a post graduate qualification in social science (minimum required is a bachelor’s degree but a master’s degree is preferred).
Experience and Competencies Required
- A minimum of eight (8) years professional experience; three (3) of these must have been in senior management roles
- Prior experience of working across diverse entities or subsidiaries is a distinct advantage but as a minimum, each candidate must be able to demonstrate strong HR leadership in sizeable companies or divisions
- An excellent bilingual communicator, written and spoken, in Amharic and English
- Deep understanding of Ethiopian labor laws, standards and legal requirements
- Strong and charismatic individual with solid experience of working for and leading the HR function in significant organizations
- Superb management skills: able to manage and motivate a wide variety of employees from diverse backgrounds in a professional and compelling manner
- Respect and understanding for local culture and values whilst embracing and working within international work ethics and standards
- Problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Self-assured, internally motivated and passionate individual with outstanding communication skills driven to succeed and make a difference
- Must possess high levels of integrity, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination
- Data-driven in decision-making.
Terms of Employment - One year, renewable based on performance and budget availability **
Duty Station: Addis Ababa**
Salary: As per the organization Scale
Required Number- 1 (One)
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to send their non–returnable application by quoting the position in the subject matter including updated CV and application letter and contact details of three work related referees, (including HR and Immediate supervisor) to Human Resources Department, submit your application through email.