|Published||May 11, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Islamic Relief Somalia (IRS) has been operating in Somalia since 2006 and has responded to conflict and drought affected people through provision of life saving assistance. Through our projects, IR has continuously been providing safe drinking water, improving hygienic sanitation facilities, increasing hygiene awareness, particularly to ones living in IDP camps; empowering the urban poor and distressed working children, engaging in conflict management and mitigation and strengthening of community cohesiveness and co-existence.
To be responsible for the day-to-day activities of Emergency and Implementation of the project for IRS in Balcad and Jowhar in a timely, accountable and quality manner IRS is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the position of Hygiene Promoter based in Balcad and Jowhar in Somalia.
Main Duties and Responsibilities.
- To share information and support community to engage in safe WASH practices including maintenance of facilities.
- Motivate the abdoption of new protective behaviors
- Bring people together to decide on the actions they need to take in their community. Involve everyone, including the most vulnerable, children and people with disabilities.
- Provide supplies and distribute NFI (hygiene kits, ) when available
- Conduct periodic assessments and monitoring of activities
- Write, compile and disseminate technical and narratives reports of all project and send them timely to the managements/line of managements
- Provision of technical advice , guidance ,consultation and technical support to hygiene promoters
- Support in the implementation of WASH activities and provide technical guidelines
- Liaise with the community/beneficiaries and all stake holders
- Promote the linkage between the communities, stakeholders among the communities and the organization (Islamic Relief).
- Participate and support need assessments and other interventions being conducted from
time to time that are all geared towards hygiene promotion, water and sanitation activities among the communities for promoting health.
- Facilitate and ensure that all hygiene components, elements and sanitation issues are understood and implemented among the communities/IDPs and the host communities.
- Support the planning of hygiene promotions activities.
- Support the existing community organization for dialogue in order to improve and upscale positive hygiene practices among the communities/IDPs
- Facilitate and participate voluntary clean up campaigns in waste management, provision of clean and safe water and vector control measures in order to promote hygiene practices.
- Custom to and be abided by the ISLAMIC RELIEF Code of conduct, ethics and other regulatory codes as a protocol with values and dignity within the organization.
- Observe all the protocol line of managements and administration as spell out in the program of the organization and perform any other duties assigned to you by your line of managements.
- Create awareness on Hand Washing especially the four critical times
- Create awareness on Vector Control
- Health education on Solid Waste managements
- Control and prevention of diarrhoeal diseases
- Support on Behaviour Change
- Awareness creation on Proper use of sanitary facilities
Knowledge, Skills, Education & Experience Required:
- A university degree in Public health, environmental science or related field.
- Two years of experience in implementing health and hygiene projects, working with children, preferably in International NGOs
- Very Good English language.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload, and meet deadlines.
- Respectful and appropriate attitude towards the community.
- Ability and willingness to work in physically challenging field conditions
- Ability to contribute as team member, and working collaboratively with colleagues.
- Proficiency in using computer applications including Excel and MS Word
- Commitment to IR values
- Experience in Emergency response
How to apply
- IRW Somalia Program is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
- Each application should be addressed to the HR account by email and include the following:
- An updated CV; and · An application letter
- Academic Qualifications (certificates/Transcripts)
- Copy of your National ID card or passport
- And contact information for three work-related referees.
- Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.