|Published||September 7, 2022|
|Location||Sacramento, CA, United States of America|
|Job Type||Full Time|
IRC Sacramento seeks a bilingual Legal Assistant to join its immigration legal team, including attorneys and/or Department of Justice (DOJ) accredited representatives, in representing Ukrainians in affirmative applications, such as Temporary Protected Status, asylum, and family-based adjustment of status, in addition to representing a limited number of Ukrainians in removal proceedings. The Legal Assistant will support and assist the attorney with gathering information and evidence, preparing and filing immigration applications and petitions before the USCIS and in EOIR immigration court, and maintaining contact with clients. The Legal Assistant may also assist in facilitating Know Your Rights workshops, presentations, and trainings, whether client-facing or for the benefit of the IRC in Sacramento’s network of pro bono attorneys. The ideal candidate will have a clear passion for working with vulnerable immigrant populations, trauma-informed listening skills, be highly organized, have excellent attention to detail, and be able to work both in a collaborative team environment and independently on assignments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the items listed below.
- Assist in conducting intakes or follow-up meetings with clients, gathering supporting documents
- Provide interpretation for clients at interviews and during meetings, as needed;
- Translate documents written in Ukrainian and/or Russian;
- Assist in preparing filings for the Asylum Office, USCIS and EOIR Immigration Court;
- Prepare affidavits, legal correspondence, and other documents for the legal staff;
- Open cases, create paper and electronic case files, and input data in relevant case management systems to ensure accurate and timely tracking of cases;
- Communicate with clients to provide case status updates, request documents and other information, schedule appointments, and manage other communication as needed;
- Assist in facilitating Know Your Rights workshops, presentations, and trainings;
- Track deadlines for the legal team;
- Coordinate with other IRC program staff to provide wrap-around services, where appropriate; and
- Support development of partnerships that have potential to bring valuable resources to clients.
- Fluency in Ukrainian, Russian, and English required;
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience in the legal field;
- Experience in a legal setting highly desirable, but not required;
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and comfort working in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, solve problems and exercise sound judgment;
- Evidence of capacity to be a strong team member in a highly collaborative social service environment;
- Deep commitment to working with immigrants, asylum seekers;
- Trauma-informed and sensitive listening and communication skills;
- Personal integrity in handling ethically complex and confidential situations; and
- Strong computer literacy, research, and analysis skills.
- Standard office environment combined with local travel within the service delivery area.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required.
Interested candidates can send their CVs