|Published||April 3, 2022|
|Location||El Salvador, El Salvador|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the
leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane
and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to
governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the administrative supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of
the Regional Security Officer, the National Security Officer will be responsible for executing
the assigned functions detailed below.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Plan, organize and supervise all security and safety matters related to IOM's operations associated with the Security Unit. Guide, supervise and train the Security Assistants and Security Guards assigned to all Mission offices; assess and provide recommendations concerning physical/structural security measures for all IOM facilities in the Mission.
Report security matters directly to COM and or to DCOM and the SSU; liaise with various security services (police, military) and agency security focal points regarding safety/security issues; when required participate in the SMT (Security ManagementTeam) meetings. Liaise with IOM's Head of Staff Safety/Security Unit, regarding relevant security matters.
Carry out all security functions related to IOM's MOU with the UN and its participation in DSS, FSCO Security Plan; implement and maintain the procedures of the DSS FSCO Security Plan and Warden System.
Provide updated security assessments/analysis to COM and DCOM.
Provide updated security assessments to all IOM staff and a detailed security briefing to all new staff members entering the Mission; coordinate personal security for IOM visitors or dignitaries and obtain security clearances for all IOM staff traveling to and from the mission in accordance with IOM's and DSS Security Phase System.
Liaise and advise the Heads of Sub-Offices, Program and Project Managers concerning security matters related to the implementation of various programmers’.
Coordinate travel security for the Mission, relating to all IOM operations, including medical evacuations and returns.
Investigate security breaches/incidents in the country , working closely with local authorities in efforts to ensure IOM staff, its assets and interests are protected.
Support staff on the field when they are on official mission.
Brief IOM staff about how to follow up all the new UNDSS regulations during their missions.
Be a link between IOM and Security arm forces, in order to get all the support required for the Security Coordination.
Take charge of the Security office during the absence of the Chief of Mission and in coordination with the Regional Security Officer.
Perform such other security related duties as may be assigned by COM or DCOM.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in Military Studies, Law, Social Sciences, Security Management, International Studies or a related field with two years of relevant professional experience, or
• University degree in the above and four years of relevant professional experience.
• Previous experience in the United Nations System, International Organizations, Multinational Corporations, Military Institutions, Police Services or Private Security Services is desirable.
• It is expected and will be appreciated that the utmost importance, flexibility and commitment will be given to the functions of this position during security / emergency services.
• Experience preparing anticipated and adequate responses in matters that affect the protection and safety of personnel.
• Interaction with UNDSS, protection / security counterparts, governments involved, and project beneficiaries.
• Application of knowledge and support to the implementation of the IOM and the protection and security policies / procedures of UNDSS and effort to increase the security of the personnel.
• Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts.
• Being able to handle heavy workloads efficiently with minimal supervision, in the midst of a multitasking environment and understanding the importance of close teamwork.
• Ability to manage a high degree of rational behavior and decision making at all times irrespective of the gravity of the security environment.
• Ability to analyze complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions.
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Passing the UN Security Certification Programme (SCP) is highly desirable.
Fluency in Spanish and English (oral and written)
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
External Candidates that comply with the profile will need to send the Resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13.Apr.2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Any offer made to the candidates in relation to this vacancy is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
KEEP IN MIND:
• The motivation/cover letter should be a maximum of 1 page long and in English. It should state the position(s) you are applying for
• The CV should be a maximum of 2 pages long and in English.
• Only the applications that comply with the required profile will be taken into consideration.
• Those applications received after the due date or the ones that don’t include the name of the position, will not be considered.
• This vacancy is open for local staff or international staff with legal permit to work in the Country.
• The attachment shouldn’t weight over 2 MB.