|Published||March 17, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) are treatable and preventable diseases that affect over 1.7 billion people across the world, particularly in tropical and subtropical countries. These diseases are diverse, but all of them have a devastating impact on impoverished communities. They disproportionally affect children, women, and people with disability. These diseases are known as ‘neglected’ because the people who are affected by these diseases lack a strong political voice and have a low status in public health priorities. In Cameroon, Helen Keller International is a long-lasting partner of the Ministry of Public Health (MOH) in the fight against NTDs. The Organization is currently the country implementing partner of the USAID's Act to End Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)|West Program (Act|West Program). This grant which is received through FHI360 is aiming at supporting NTDs endemic countries with the goal of eliminating and/or controlling these diseases, through proven and cost-effective public health interventions. Act|West interventions are focusing on onchocerciasis, trachoma and lymphatic filariasis, and the Program covers the 10 regions of the country. Each of the regions is receiving technical support either from Helen Keller International or from one of its sub-grantees (through their respective Program Officers).
Helen Keller International Cameroon is seeking a suitable candidate for the position of Program Assistant who will perform the following tasks:
Title of position: Program Assistant**
Place of work: Yaoundé, Centre region, with frequent travels to the other regions of Cameroon
Reports to: NTDs Program Advisor
Type of contract: Fixed-term contract
Duration: One-year renewable
Deadline to apply: 27 March 2022
Number of vacancies: One (01)
The Program Assistant will assist the NTDs Program Advisor and the Program Officers in monitoring the implementation of NTDs-related activities.
- S/he will accompany the Program Officers in providing technical support to the Regional Delegations of the MoH (DRSP) for the implementation of NTDs-related activities. This includes the following components:
o Attend NTDs campaigns preparatory meetings involving NTDs management teams of the regions and/or the management teams of the targeted health districts;
o Participate in the various supervision activities conducted during NTDs campaigns;
o Participate in the collection and analysis of programmatic data with stakeholders in the regions and districts targeted by the NTDs program interventions;
o Assist the Program Officers in the review of the deliverables submitted by the DRSP in the execution of their respective Fixed Amount Awards (FAA);
o Identify and document good practices during field activities.
- S/he will assist the NTDs Program Advisor in the following aspects:
o Logistical and administrative preparation of the NTDs department meetings and reporting;
o Follow-up the shipment and storage of NTDs campaigns tools and materials to the regions;
o Collection and consolidation of monthly dashboards of the NTDs Department's staff;
o Participation in meetings with partners and stakeholders of the MoH at the central level, concerning the follow-up of activities;
- S/he will also carry out other duties as assigned within the NTDs program team.
Minimum requirements and skills
- Cameroonian national.
- University degree in Social Sciences, Epidemiology or Project Management, Health Sciences.
- At least 2 years of professional experience with Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with a special focus on the use of Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working with the Cameroonian health system would be an asset.
- Good English or French written and oral expression.
- Good adaptability.
- Sense of confidentiality.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good interpersonal skills.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email