|Published||March 8, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Helen Keller International is an international non-profit non-governmental organization whose mission is to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged people. It addresses the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing data-driven programs and research around vision, health and nutrition.
As part of the implementation of the Vitamin A Supplementation (VAS) program, Helen Keller International Kenya is seeking a National coordinator for the Vitamin A supplementation program, based in Nairobi, who will perform the tasks described below:
Job Title: VAS Program coordinator
Duty Station : Nairobi, kenya
Supervised by : Head of programs
Managing: 2 managers and 7 officers
Type of contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration of the contract : 2 years renewable
Brief summary of the duties of the position.
Under the supervision of the Head of programs, the VAS Program coordinator performs all responsibilities linked with the administration, coordination, planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of the program.
I- Description of key responsibilities
Management of VAS programs
- Provides technical support to the Ministry of health at national and county level and partners in all aspects of vitamin A supplementation. Support should include advocating for best practices including preparation of national annual detailed action plan, forecasting for VAS capsules, development of annual national budgets, and development of policies and strategies for sustainable VAS models. Support should also include promotion of accurate and effective semester-based monitoring of VAS achievements and performance and identification of interventions to improve field performance.
- Actively participate in the national coordination for VAS and other related forums and ensure synergy with other donors and stakeholders
- Support definition of a strategy for sustainable and cost-effective delivery of VAS in all counties, and support the transition towards routine VAS delivery (operational research, technical assistance during the transition);
- Support preparation and implementation of annual action plan for the vitamin A supplementation program (acceleration and routine) in all counties
- Ensure VAS program activities are aligned with the national strategies and policies, and are integrated in the annual plans of the Ministry of health and County departments of health
- Promote the heath system strengthening alongside delivery of VAS in all counties
- Ensure VAS campaigns are organized successfully in all counties in a cost-effective way and that coverage achieved remains above 80%.
- Promote increase of routine VAS coverage through through innovative approaches
- Organize one national conference to share lessons and develop a long-term strategy for VAS
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Initiate and facilitate regular technical meetings with the national and county health management teams to monitor the achievements of the programme and develop measures that address the program quality.
- Supportthe M&E manager to develop and manage a database for all the counties and sub counties; providing key data on coverage and other relevant information such as the number of VAS administrators, supervisors, targeted population etc.
- Contributes to the research of new approaches and evaluation of the impacts of strategies in the field of Vitamin A supplementation, and proposes at least one implementable research idea during the life of the program;
- Works closely with the Ministry of Health to strengthen the Monitoring and Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) component of the of VAS program.
- Develops the necessary tools and guides to support the programme, including training modules, social mobilization tools, advocacy tools and technical guides.
- Coordinates the preparation and implementation of post-campaign coverage surveys every 6 months.
- Collects and analyzes data related to the execution of the project and proposes the necessary improvements.
- Prepares quality programmatic and financial reports in a timely manner.
Mobilization and management of resources
- Manage all technical, administrative and financial activities to ensure effective operation and implementation of the project
- Participate in the mobilization of funds for VAS in Kenya;
- Coordinate the development of project budgets;
- Monitors the implementation of budgets in accordance with Helen Keller and donor financial procedures. ;
- Participates in the development of the Annual fiscal Budget, and the Quarterly and Annual Financial Report of the Program
- Ensures the availability of funds in time for the smooth running of activities according.
- Keeps abreast of innovations in the field of micronutrients and fortification and shares with our partners;
- Encourages and advocates with the government, the compliance with food fortification legislation in collaboration with large and small-scale fortification stakeholders;
- Ensures visibility of Helen Keller program activities at the national and county levels;
- Participates in the writing and publication of articles in scientific journals.
Human Resources Management
- Ensures compliance with Helen Keller's Human Resources procedures in the implementation of the program;
- Provides support for the training of staff and partners involved in the implementation of project activities.
- Promote best practices in the management of the VAS managers and officers
II- Qualifications and Skills :
- Holder of a Master's degree in Public Health or Master's degree in Nutrition or equivalent;
- Professional experience of at least five(5) years managing Nutrition projects/programmes, preferably in an international NGO;
- Experience in relations with the Government of Cameroon, NGOs and agencies of the United Nations System;
- Experience in scaling up Nutrition programs, particularly in complex environments;
- Experience in strategic planning, project management and budgeting;
- Experience in organizing and supervising mass activities in nutrition or health;
- Experience in conducting coverage surveys;
- Experience in leadership and supervision of teams;
- Be familiar with the regulations of major donors;
- Have an excellent level in French;
- Have a good command (spoken and written) of English;
- Mastery of computer tools is mandatory: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook ODK, ONA, STATA and Web browsers;
- Have very good interpersonal relationships;
- Be able to solve problems;
- Be able to work in a complex environment
How to apply
Constitution of the application file:
- A letter of motivation addressed to the Country Director;
- A curriculum vitae ;
- Reference to contact.
The complete file must be sent to the following email address