|Published||March 8, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Fairtrade Africa (FTA), is a member of the wider Fairtrade International movement that represents Fairtrade certified producers in Africa and the Middle East. We operate four regional networks: Eastern and Central Africa Network (ECAN) based in Nairobi, Kenya; West Africa Network (WAN) based in Accra, Ghana, Southern Africa Network (SAN) based in Blantyre, Malawi and the Middle East and North Africa Network (MENA).
Fairtrade Africa is owned by its members, who are African producer organizations certified against Fairtrade International Standards producing traditional export commodities such as coffee, cocoa, tea, flowers, cotton, bananas, cane sugar, wine, fresh fruits, herbs and spices and non-traditional commodities including shea butter and rooibos tea.
Currently, FTA represents over 1,083,139 producers across 28 countries in Africa.
Fairtrade Africa secretariat is located in Nairobi, Kenya, and has 50% ownership of the Fairtrade system.
ABOUT THE ROLE
To develop, coordinate and implement Fairtrade Africa’s Strategy in Eastern & Central Africa for other products besides Coffee and flowers and plants and resource mobilisation in order to effectively achieve the current market demands, increase market access, increase volume, increase the funding level for all products in the region and create an impact on producers as well as recommend and take action based on plan and forecast.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate the producer needs assessment programme and the development of programming activity in line with the regional and FTA objectives
- Provide network development support for member networks such as product and country groupings.
- Develop and implement project plans to ensure that each project is delivered successfully, on time and meets the agreed objectives of the wider strategy
- Develop and coordinate capacity development work plans and ensure effective implementation through the management of Programme Team Leaders and Officers.
- Manage to implement partnerships with other organisations to further FTA’s programming activities.
- Support producers and members to attend local regional and international events.
- Support the production of regional communications including drafting articles for newsletters, assisting in compiling and drafting of producer experiences and sharing of best practices.
- Support the maintenance of FTA’s producer database ensuring it is updated regularly.
- Develop plans for producers and member organisations to maximize their engagement and participation through excellent communication and relationship management.
- Support the identification of commercial opportunities and facilitate NFO, donor and buyer visits to the producer and member organizations
- Monitor budget disbursements for field staff programming activities.
Build and manage non-core products strategy
- Support build and manage FTA’s strategy for other products besides cocoa in West Africa and associated plans to achieve on-going demand and supply optimisation
- Ensure the short and long-term product strategy for all other products is defined
- Ensure progress on FTA’s strategy and plan for other products are effectively communicated and relevant information is available to all key stakeholders
- Research, develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of current, future and historical context of operations within the value chains of other products and the Fairtrade market to inform strategy and plans
- Coordinate commercial and market strategies related to other products in collaboration with the commercial directorate and labelling initiatives to maximize the patronage or utilization of Fairtrade products and their derivatives
- Support the strategy development, and implementation of activities for the growth and determination of commercial viability for locally-led products, in collaboration with National Fairtrade Organisations and commercial partners.
Stakeholder Relations and Support
- Develop partnerships and working relationships with donors, potential donors as well as implementing and potential implementation partners (e.g., local NGOs, CSOs and state agencies/departments)
- Develop a direct relationship with POs in other products and country networks
- In liaison with Commercial Directorate, collaborate with market-facing colleagues who generate demand for other Fairtrade products to assess and develop the market potential for other products in ECAN.
- Collaborate with country teams to understand production and business capacity for other products
- Communicate programme/project progress (i.e., core programme and projects on other products) and performance to key stakeholders, both internally and externally.
Fundraising and Resource Mobilisation
- Lead all fundraising and resource mobilisation efforts in the region
- Liaise with the Continental Resource Mobilisation Coordinator to adopt FTA’s resource strategy for East Africa
- Develop annual resource mobilisation targets for each product in the region, develop an accompanying work plan and implement the same
- Provide support in design and development of continental level projects/programme concepts and proposals
- Ensure high quality and timely submission of proposals and concept notes, Project Report/Project Progress Reports to donors and funding affiliates.
- Monitor donor reporting and grant expenditure deadlines; coordinate with Head of Region and Continental Resource Mobilization Coordinator in responding to these deadlines while facilitating and participating in the preparation of quality financial and narrative reports to donors.
- Develop and manage strategic consortium partnerships with appropriate CSOs, academic organizations and private sector firms to leverage Fairtrade Africa’s chances of success in competitive calls for proposals and tender bids.
- Design strategy and plan for building fundraising capacity within producer organisations
- Lead and co-ordinate the preparation of financial, donor and programme progress reports
- Ensure the effective monitoring and evaluation of projects within the portfolio.
- Work with the M&E Officer in the collection of monitoring data to coordinate impact or evaluation studies ongoing in the region General Management
- Ensure the provision of reports on grants, M&E, Finance, Programme activity
- Plan, coordinate and execute the annual operational plan, providing the team with the needed direction to achieve results and hold them accountable.
- Support staff in developing realistic work plans based on programmatic needs.
- Regularly discuss performance, giving timely, constructive feedback, providing support to address issues and acting when necessary
- Provide technical support, guidance and development for team members
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- At least 5 years knowledge and experience working in any of the products of Fairtrade or any other standards organisations
- At least 3 years Programme Development and Management experience and reporting
- At least 3 years Resource Mobilisation or Fundraising experience
Experience and Knowledge
- A minimum of 5 years experience in agricultural development
- Experience in supporting ethical and sustainable supply chains
- Knowledge of agricultural development and sustainable business practices
- Knowledge of Fairtrade standards and processes
- Advocacy and facilitation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent stakeholder management and interpersonal skills
- Project management skills
How to apply
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website https://fairtradeafrica.net/vacancies-2/ Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name, and the position Programme ManagerOther Products & Fundraising.
All applicants should state how they meet the essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form and email.