|Published||May 5, 2022|
|Location||Phnom Penh, Cambodia|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters (HQ) are based in Berlin, Germany.
Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health and Livelihoods with a specific focus on climate change and gender equality worldwide. (www.thejohanniter.org)
Overall Job Purpose
In cooperation with the Emergency Response team at HQ and the programme colleagues of the Country Offices, the Regional Roving Emergency Response Coordinator supports the implementation of the Programme Objectives of the 2027 strategy, in particular with regard to the Emergency Response objective that aims at strengthening Johanniter’s capacities in response to sudden onset disasters and in disaster preparedness and prevention.
In a Nutshell
■ Establish effective support structures for Johanniter country offices, responding to needs with an agile approach.
■ Empowering country offices to implement country and regional strategies and strengthening emergency response capacities at country office and partner level will be a key priority as well as direct support to emergency response activities where and whenever needed.
■ Be an essential interface between HQ and the country offices for the implementation of both the global and the regional strategy.
■ You will achieve these objectives without disciplinary responsibility, based on professional competence and strong influencing and negotiating skills.
Reporting to: Head of Emergency Response
Receives technical advice from: Head of Emergency Response
Gives technical advice to: Emergency Response officers/focal points as well as programme staff at country offices
Replaced by: Emergency Response Coordinator HQ
Strategy and Vision
• Actively supports the values of Johanniter and shapes the work within JIA according to these values
• Supports the development and implementation of regional strategies
• Contributes to the development and implementation of the global strategy of Johanniter International Assistance
Emergency Response Coordination
• Actively monitors potential disasters and developing humanitarian crises in the region and provides relevant information and analysis as a basis for decision making to senior management
• Coordinates and, where needed, carries out needs assessments in case of sudden onset disasters in the region
• Based on assessment data and available JIA and partner capacities supports the design of relevant and technically sound emergency interventions in response to sudden onset disasters
• Supports JIA country teams and local partner organisations in the implementation of emergency response interventions with technical expertise, donor liaison, etc.
• If capacities of country teams are limited or in countries where Johanniter has no presence, the Roving Emergency Response Coordinator will usually be assigned the lead to coordinate the emergency response with local partners and, where applicable, coordinate activities implemented by JIA own staff, including internationally deployed teams.
• Together with the Emergency Response Coordinator in HQ sets up an internal regional expert pool to provide surge capacity for emergency response assessments and interventions
• Supports country teams and local partner organisations in the design of disaster prevention and preparedness projects in the region
• At times, the role may include supervisory duties such as gap-filling in JIA Country Offices. These tasks will be assigned only temporary for periods not exceeding 4-6 weeks.
• Analyses existing emergency response capacities of JIA country teams and local partner organisations and advises on how to strengthen them
• Based on joint assessments of training needs organises and facilitates trainings and workshops for Johanniter and partner staff on relevant topics to strengthen emergency response capacities (e.g. SPHERE standards, needs assessments, distribution of relief goods, emergency preparedness planning) in close cooperation with the HQ Emergency Response team**
• Supports local partner organisations in building networks with local humanitarian NGOs and strengthening their surge capacities**
Communication and representation
• Supports HQ communication team with reports and information about JIA emergency response activities in the region
• Participates in relevant regional working groups and networks on disaster management and crisis response
Interface with other desks
• Ensures cooperation and coordination between colleagues in the country offices and HQ
• Works with staff in all departments to strengthen country office capacities
• Co-owns the implementation of the internal change process of Johanniter International Assistance.
What you bring:
■ Advanced degree in social sciences, international development, humanitarian assistance or other relevant fields
■ Minimum 5 years’ work experience in emergency response to man-made and natural disasters
■ Good understanding of working with local NGOs, CBOs and grass root organizations as first responders
■ In-depth knowledge of relevant international standards for humanitarian assistance
■ Demonstrated experience in carrying out needs assessments for emergency response
■ High level of knowledge and skills of data analysis and presentation
■ Experience in facilitating workshops and trainings Ability to assess complex situations and develop technically sound intervention approaches within a short period of time
■ Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with good understanding of motivating and working with cross-cultural teams
■ Works independently but also cooperatively with team members
■ Works in intercultural and complex contexts, with a high level of experience in dealing with ambiguity and tolerance
■ Strong communication skills, orally and in writing
■ Assertiveness and persuasiveness combined with consulting skills
■ High ability to work under pressure and in difficult environments, e.g. in the immediate aftermath of a natural disaster
■ Good sense of humour
■ Fluent in English; speaking one of the local languages is an advantage
■ High degree of computer literacy
■ Willingness to travel within the region and globally for more than 50% of the time and on short notice in case of a sudden onset disaster
What we offer:
Remuneration: 50828 - 53503€/annum gross
(Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and relevant previous experience)
Benefits: 13th cheque, social security (lump sum 375€/month for expats not under German social security); housing allowance 300€/month; international insurance package; 29 days annual leave; yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance for Cambodia 930€/month)
How to apply
If this what you are looking for, please submit your application via email (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date and Please indicate “Roving Emergency Response Coordinator” in the subject line of your e-mail.