|Published||June 2, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is an international nongovernmental organization defending human rights and the rule of law worldwide. With its Headquarters based in Geneva, Switzerland, ICJ has a presence in Africa, Latin America, Asia & the Pacific, Europe & Central Asia, and the Middle East. To help ensure the organization makes the best use of its financial resources and complies with all relevant rules and regulations, we are seeking a full-time Senior Finance Officer. The ideal candidate has worked for at least nine years in the Finance department of an international NGO and is familiar with the complexities of working in a global context; has comprehensive knowledge and experience of analytical accounting and Swiss GAAP; and is able to work under pressure and manage multiple deadlines.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the Senior Finance Officer holds the following responsibilities:
- Review and ensure accuracy and conformity of accounting documents and accounting entries;
- Ensure that the revenue recognition is properly recognized on a quarterly basis;
- Validate and process purchase requests and co-sign for payments;
- Manage petty cash;
- Participate in annual closing for the regional offices and Geneva accounts and prepare for review the Combined Financial statements;
- Participate in the implementation of the Internal Control Systems and elaboration of financial control tools and in implementation of the accounting system;
- Draft the organizational budget and the CORE donor budget and reporting;
- Provide training and guidance on financial procedures and accounting software to financial and administration staff in Geneva and in regional and country offices;
- Review the monthly payroll for all ICJ staff;
- Review grant reports to the related regions before sending them to donors;
- Assist in other financial and administrative tasks as requested by the CFO.
The successful candidate will have:
Education & Experience:
- University degree in economics, accounting, finance and administration or equivalent;
- A minimum of 8 years work experience in accounting or finance;
- Experience working for an NGO and/or in a developing country and/or in a multicultural environment an asset;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Spreadsheet and Word-processing programmes; Knowledge of Accounting software an asset (Navision);
- Knowledge of analytical accounting required; familiarity with Swiss GAAP Accounting norms and RPC21 a distinct advantage;
- Willingness to travel (up to 15 days a year).
- Strong organisational, planning and time-management skills;
- Ability to take initiative;
- Ability to work under pressure and to adapt to changing priorities and needs;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Demonstrated analytic and writing ability including report-writing experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Teamwork oriented;
- Strong multicultural skills and culturally sensitive;
- Commitment to human rights and the rule of law.
How to apply
Interested applicants should provide all materials outlined below by email.
- A CV (maximum 2 pages);
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page);
- The names and contact information of at least two recent references.
Please include “Senior Finance Officer” in the subject line of the application email.