|Published||March 27, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
CARE International in Somalia is seeking an energetic, self-motivated professional to join the Humanitarian and Emergency Response team for a fixed term of three months. Reporting to the Program Engineer will be responsible for conducting rapid health assessments, planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring emergency health interventions the successful candidate will be required to have demonstrated experience in and knowledge of emergency response and humanitarian assistance agenda. The incumbent is expected to work in close collaboration with the emergency program team and with minimal supervision.
- Initiate and maintain close working relationships with other CARE sectors such as nutrition, health, food security, education, and protection
- Provide technical support for WASH-related activities (hardware and software) for other CARE sectors within his/her area of operation
- Plan and execute participatory hygiene promotion methodologies such as PHAST, CHAST, CLTS targeting Community health workers, Community hygiene volunteers to enable them to conduct hygiene promotion activities
- Provide technical support for solid waste management to the local authorities, community-based structures at IDP camps and host communities set-ups.
- Assess school WASH needs and provide technical support for schools in improving hygiene and sanitation practices.
- Develop relevant hygiene promotion messages and disseminate using appropriate methodologies for effective hygiene promotion within a given set up.
- Conduct regular disease surveillance in his/her working area and report any increase in the incidences of hygiene related diseases (AWD, Cholera) to the local health teams and become part of the local response teams for the control and prevention.
- In collaboration with various stakeholders (government departments, community structures) develop innovative measures that are locally and scientifically acceptable for addressing prevalent hygiene and sanitation problems.
- Carryout routine water quality surveillance and based on the results take appropriate actions for correction.
- Document hygiene related good practices, lessons learnt and success stories from the field arising from project implementation
- Ensure sanitation and hygiene promotion implementation approaches and methods enable skills transfer to the local community and ensure sustainable behavioral change transformations
- Play an active role during WASH needs assessments, baselines and end line surveys and support data collection, entry, analysis, and reporting
- Prepare high quality technical monthly/quarterly WASH reports and submit to the supervisor on a timely manner
- Actively participate in WASH meetings (local, regional) and represent CARE, outlining the organization program activities and project scope.
- Take up any other role as assigned by the line manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 5 years field experience in Somalia preferably in a similar position with international/ national organizations
- Strong familiarity with technical specifications required for the construction of WASH facilities (water kiosks, storage tanks, latrines)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to work with diverse team members in remote locations
- Strong understanding of the Hygiene promotion concept within a humanitarian context in Somalia
- Strong experience in disease outbreak investigation and response
- Strong communication and advocacy skills for representing CARE in relevant forums
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in a one PDF document by referring to the job title “(Senior Public Health Officer - Badhan)” as the subject line of the email