|Published||March 13, 2022|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Reports to: Market-Based Sanitation Director
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare by putting the consumer at the center and bringing care to the front door wherever possible. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets, and shift policy and funding to better support consumer-empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience—all with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI seeks a Urban Sanitation and Business Development Services (BDS) Manager to oversee the market development strategies and technical support to assist businesses, the private sector, and regulators to improve the sustainable management of water and sanitation services in selected counties in Western Kenya under a 5-year USAID-funded project. The position’s role is both to oversee urban sanitation and fecal sludge management (FSM) service delivery and accelerate access to improved and safely managed sanitation amongst all customer segements in urban, peri-urban, and rural communities. The program’s overall goal is a financially sustainable, transformative, replicable, and locally owned sanitation marketplace in the target counties of western Kenya. The objectives to achieve this goal are (1) increased access to, and uptake of, market-based improved sanitation and FSM products and services; and (2) increased access to and uptake of market-based improved MHM products and services at the household level. Ultimately, the local public and private sectors should deliver products and services that customers are paying for, eliminating the need for ongoing donor support. PSI has been measurably improving the health of Kenyans since 1989. Its approach harnesses the vitality of the private sector to improve health outcomes for clients. It addresses the most serious health challenges affecting resource-poor and vulnerable communities in Kenya, including HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, non-communicable diseases, and the greatest threats to children under 5, including malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia, and malnutrition. Sound like you? Read on.
- The Urban Sanitation and BDS Manager will provide leadership for a team of BDS and market-based sanitation experts working in two clusters of counties in western Kenya and will be based in Siaya. • The manager will be team lead and build strategies for a sustainable and robust market and ensure an effective intersection of product offering, sales and marketing approaches, and an efficient delivery system. In addition, they will provide mentoring and business advice, such as training, sales supervision, marketing assistance, introducing innovative technology, and facilitating access to financing options to help small businesses improve their performance. • The manager is responsible for the overall quality of the urban WASH activites in Western Kenya and bring expertise in business model development and experience supporting FSM service delivery models to be sustainable. • The Urban Sanitaiton and BDS manager will also support institutionalizing such mentoring and coaching services in the local consulting sector or vocational colleges. • The Manager of BDS has deep experience developing small businesses and entrepreneurs in developing countries, a passion for and a deep understanding of sustainability, knowledge sharing, capacity building, and a positive and action-oriented attitude. • The Urban Sanitaiton and BDS manager contributes to shaping monitoring and evaluation for sustainability and measuring progress towards results, learning, documentation and knowledge management.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree in sales, marketing, business administration, or related field;
- At least ten years experience, with seven years in a position with similar responsibilities in helping businesses become more viable;
- Goal focused with experience in the development, implementation, and execution of plans to grow small and medium-sized businesses;
- Experience with urban sanitation and improving FSM service delivery
- Understanding of Kenyan sanitation sector desirable;
- Strong negotiation skills with a demonstrated track record of working with businesses and entrepreneurs;
- Sales and marketing support supervision experience;
- Creative thinker to see new routes to market and unique ways to develop existing opportunities; • Knowledge and understanding of USAID relevant policies, goals, and strategies;
- Excellent diplomatic, oral/written skills and presentation abilities;
- Fluent in English (spoken and written);
- Citizen of Kenya;
- References will be required.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and current Curriculum Vitae by email Subject: Urban Sanitation and Business Development Services Manager